“Natural” and “organic” are two compelling words that increase consumers’ attention when incorporated with the label of cosmetic products. We all know how substances in beauty products can be harmful to people with sensitive skin. And if you have experienced those harmful effects, you are surely looking for cosmetic products that are either natural or organic.
Natural and organic cosmetics can be synonymous at a glance, made more complicated by confusing cosmetic labels when you are sifting your way through cosmetic aisles. Though these two types of cosmetic compositions are out there for a while, it is surprising why there are no specific guidelines and regulations in classifying cosmetic products.
What are Natural Cosmetics?
For cosmetics to be called natural, 95% of the finished product must be formulated with natural ingredients, either from plants, minerals, or animals. The concept of natural cosmetics is to produce high-quality products with a low level of environmental stress.
Among the products that should not be present in natural cosmetics are:
- Silicone – give products a smooth finish when applied to the skin
- Phenoxyethanol – use as a preservative for longer shelf life
- Polyethylene glycol – gives products a thick and soft consistency
- Butylated Hydroxytoluene – prevents products from oxidizing when exposed to air
Since natural cosmetics only use 95% of natural products, companies use the remaining 5% for non-natural components to make up a product. For instance, they can use artificial fragrance and synthetic products to produce something close to the natural ingredient and label it as natural.
What are Organic Cosmetics?
Organic cosmetics are the improved version of natural cosmetics. A product is considered organic only if its components are derived from organic farming – no pesticides involved or organic fertilizers.
In organic cosmetics, businesses produce safer products with consideration to the environment’s welfare. Manufacturers often convert to the organic way of producing cosmetics as it provides more peace of mind among consumers. Suppose they have a natural cosmetic product made of simple water and artificial fragrance. In that case, it can be recreated to be organic by using rosewater or lemon juice as a base and essential oils as fragrance.
Since no regulations are limiting cosmetic businesses from labeling their products as organic, it is essential to know the concept of the word. Unlike natural cosmetics formulated with artificial ingredients, organic cosmetics are made of nature-derived products without any chemicals.
Why Natural and Organic Can Both Be Beneficial?
Minimal to no side effects.
Skin is your body’s largest organ. Whatever goes to the skin goes into your bloodstream. Chemical-laden products can tremendously affect your health versus the minimal to no side effects of using natural and organic cosmetics.
Natural and organic products coincide with the word “cruelty-free,” which also values caring for the animals apart from the environment. The majority of natural and organic products do not involve animal testing and can give you the peace of mind to comply with your social responsibility while still caring for yourself.